Monday, March 12, 2012

Palm Tungsten E2

My current Palm Tungsten E2 and my even older Palm Pilot


 • My Comments: My Palm E2 has been a GREAT tool for me. It is still very useful even though the battery life has shortened. I hope my next tablet serves me so well for so many years. I really do look forward to better WiFi usage, A bigger screen, and more than 1 Gig storage for Apps and MP3's on a newer tablet.




 •  Features: Bluetooth sync, IR file transfer, Cable sync(with XP and older), Propitiatory cable, One Gig full size SD card reader, Wi-Fi card option.


 • Bad: Outdated to get software, Battery getting weak. Bluetooth sync, IR file transfer, cable sync, Proprietary cable sync with XP and older PC's only, Wi-Fi card is Clunky/Buggy, Wi-Fi snail slow, incompatible with many sites, WiFi needs reset often, WiFi file size DL limit. Small screen, does not view Epub or PDF. Can be slow to respond, Photos in documents lag.


 • Good:  Screen looks and works great and has great color. Resistive touch sensitivity great with stylus, nail or even a knuckle. 1 Gig on this unit is usable unless you want to store pictures, MP3's or a movie. I do own 3- one Gig SD cards for it. I use few videos so this has not been an issue. Video clips look good although small. Reading on it using the 'iSilo' App has been great.


 • Palm E2 specs from Wiki page: "The Tungsten E2, introduced on April 13, 2005 replaced the similarly named Tungsten E, has 32 MB of memory (29.7 available), a 200 MHz Intel XScale processor, 320x320 Transflective TFT color display, and runs Palm OS Garnet v5.4.7. It is 4.5 tall by 3.1 wide by .59 inches thick (114 x 79 x 15 mm) and weighs 4.7 ounces (133 g). It has a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack, a longer lasting battery than the Tungsten E, has Bluetooth capability, and a single speaker on the back." Paragraph from: Palm Tungsten Wiki


My original Palm Pilot
Before My Palm E2 I had a the classic Palm Pilot which I used before replaced it withe my Palm E2. Notice from the Wiki article below that it states the Palm Pilot creator Hawkins "carried a block of wood, the size of the potential Pilot, in his pocket for a week." Not knowing this I had also already made a block of wood the size of the ASUS 370T prototype tablet to try out in my various jacket pockets. "The first two generations of PDAs from Palm were referred to as "Palm-Pilots" has entered the vernacular as a synonym for PDA regardless of the brand. Before starting development of the Pilot, Hawkins said he carried a block of wood, the size of the potential Pilot, in his pocket for a week.Paragraph from: Palm Pilot Wiki


• Acronym history: You old timers might remember when tablets and smart phones were referred to as PDA's(Personal Digital Assistant). The fact that PDA's are still remembered is proof that Microsoft, Apple and Android all had older kinfolk before them, lest they should forget there elders.


 Future: I expect my next tablet to be the Nexus 7 which was based on the ASUS 370T that was announced at CES 2012. 


 • The Palm specifications and history are directly taken from the two Wiki articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment